Thursday, April 2, 2009

Camp Confidence

Cale made a very important decision today. He told me that he has thought about it and he wants to attend Camp Confidence - an ADA sponsored Diabetes Day Camp - this June. I had asked him about it a couple of weeks ago and showed him the website (which included a video showing what the kids do all week - he was mesmerized!). At that time, I told him to think about it. (You can check it out at by clicking here: www.diabetes.org/diabetes-camp/about-ada-camp-confidence.jsp)

Today, I received an email from our representative at the ADA which explained how a child can get a scholarship to Diabetes Camp. There are 4 - $250 scholarships available in the Rock River Valley (our area). All he has to do is write 1 - 2 paragraphs about why he wants to attend camp. So I told him about it and asked if he had decided to go to the camp or not. He was very excited to tell me he wants to go and is going to enter for the scholarship.

This is going to be so great for him. I know he will be going there not knowing a single person...but I am positive he will leave there after the week is over with several new friends. There is also an option to send non-diabetic siblings, but I don't think Ryan would stay - or would he????

This particular camp, which is by no means next door, is located in Des Plaines. It will be a long week of driving to get him there by 9:00 a.m. and picked up by 3:00 p.m., but I think it will be well worth the time. I'm sure a few of those days can be spent tooling around that area. Even if I head home daily, it is a very positive opportunity for Cale. Next year, he is old enough for sleep over camp (need to start saving now for that one) which is located very close to our old house. That will be exciting!!! As it stand now, he will be one of the older kids at day camp.

Now it is time to fill out the application and get his doctor to complete several forms. At least we have (ok...he has) an appointment on Wednesday. I can give them to him at that time to fill out. I hope we can get all of this done asap. I don't want to be placed on a waiting list. Fingers crossed!!!!

3 comments:

Lauren said...

If Mr. Cale needs to raise a little more money for camp, just let me know!

Lauren said...

What the? How do I keep leaving messages as Phoebe?!?! Please let him know that Auntie Lauren sends these messages and to not try to hit up Phoebe for money - she doesn't have any...all she has are pom poms!

:) Tracie said...

Cale is growing by leaps and bounds! This is a really cool thing and the overnight camp is an even bigger step. I gotta hand it to him (and you), he's mature in these ways! This'll be really good for him, and I'm glad he made the decision to go. It'll show him first hand that he's not really that different after all because of diabetes, and having the other kids there will also boost his confidence even more because he'll be the one they look up to. Then it'll be his turn at the next camp to look up to someone else and see that everything really will be fine in his life dealing with diabetes.
You know Ryan's keeping tabs for when he wants camp of some sort!