Sunday, February 22, 2009

Can't Sleep

That's right...the time at the bottom of this post is correct...I can't sleep.

All good things must come to an end. We were doing so well with the OmniPod; Cale's numbers were great, all it took was a push of a couple of buttons and insulin was flowing, the amount of insulin was precise and don't get me started on the extend button (LOVE IT!!). Then...WHAM!!! The high BG came and it brought along their friend, Mr. Ketones.

Here is the scenario:

We had our routine pod change at 4:30 p.m. BG was 169 so we gave a little correction. We all go over to Auntie Lauren's house to give Ellie Cat (yes, Lauren, that is what I am calling her) her medicine while they are out of town. Que the stairs and two boys sliding down them. Off to dinner we go (yummy El Niagra) and the pre-dinner BG was 72, lower than we would like, but not horrible. Ate our food, counted the carbs, gave the insulin (60% up front and the remaining 40% over 2 hours). 8:30 rolls around and it's time for the 2 hour post dinner BG check. 383!!! Did I not count right?? Yes I did, turns out the cannula had come out while the boys were body surfing down the stairs. Time to change the pod, again (don't even get me started on watching the $ for these things go down the drain). 9:55 - checked the BG again..are you ready...wait for it...449!!! Are you kidding me?? Gave a correction. (Right now I am realizing one of our mistakes - did we give insulin again for dinner after changing the pod? NO!!!! Where in the world were our heads??? I cannot believe that neither one of us thought about it. Parents of the Year Award has been won hands down by Cale's Mommy and Daddy!!!) Checked the Ketones again, small amount. So we wait. 11:00, let's check him again. 469!!! WTF!!! (pardon my language) Mr. Ketone is still hanging around. So we decide to change the pod site. We had put it on his arm to give his tummy a rest against Cale's wishes (should have listened to him, but don't tell him that). Back to the tummy it goes. And once again, we wait. Midnight, BG is 410. Still high, but coming down. Gave yet another correction. 1:00 a.m., BG is 380, slowly coming down. And then we come to 2:30 a.m., BG is 314. SIGH. Give yet another correction and decide to check again for Ketones. Moderate. Until today all we have ever seen was just below trace. Ok...time to wake up the doctor. I dial the phone remembering a couple of days ago when he didn't call back (turns out the paging system wasn't working) but the answering service has me stay on the phone and connects me directly to him. Ok...gave a correction via syringe. Wait some more and if still running high with ketones, change the site once again (picture toilet, now see money and FLUSH!!!! I know it's his health, but I'm tired and I have a sore throat and am losing my voice - pity party!!).

I think I am done rambling. After reading this, I have really taken notice of a couple mistakes on our part. They are now stored in the teeny tiny vault in my brain and will be taken out should this happen again. And I apologize to our family members who are totally lost with some of the terms used, but I had to get it out and you other moms out there get it.

Ok...time to try and sleep for a short period before having to check again. Not gonna happen, but I can try.

Good night!!


:) Tracie said...

Ok, first thing, you're learning. It's trial and error. Sounds to me like you're doing the right things.

The keytones are no stranger to us...we haven't seen them for a long time, but they are nothing to wig out over as long as they disappear in 24-36 hours. That will happen with giving more insulin/corrections. The reason they showed up is the lack of 40% after dinner insulin dose. When you changed the pod, the functions wiped out and you have to always re-enter the split. You'll have to adjust it according to amount already given and amount still to give...which may just end up being a straight dose at that point. But don't beat yourself up, it's a learning curve. Cale won't suffer major damage with an incident, just a few more site changes than expected, but again, learning curve. And the correction with injection (hey that rhymed) was the way to go at that point.

If you keep him home from school when something like this happens, it won't count as an absence under the ADA/504 rules, I believe, and you can get him right as rain before worrying about him at school with this issue.

I'm sure you'll keep the Dr. posted, so it'll be fine by tonight I'll bet.

As far as flushing $, that's the only sucky part about the pod. But as time goes on, you won't be doing that. Think of it as better happening now and learning how to deal with it. Can you say "crash course"?!

Cale's just going to have to learn to slow down a bit in order to protect that pod. Unfortunately, he's probably going to have to learn the hard way by site changing every time he "pod kills". But remember, it's new to him too. He'll get it soon enough. Beats injections hands down reguardless.

Hope you feel better. Hope you sleep, and try to keep in perspective that this is new to all of you and will need some adjusting.....just don't mame anyone!

Penny Ratzlaff said...

"Parents of the Year Award has been won hands down by Cale's Mommy and Daddy!!!"

Sorry to disappoint you but I won that award first when I sent Riley off to his very first day of Kindergarten without bolusing for his breakfast.

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Also, I was ready to throw the pump out the window for the first couple of months. There are some growing pains that come with it but it is well worth it. Next month Riley will have been pumping for 3 years and I cannot imagine life without it now.