Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Numbers and School


Why oh why can't diabetes at least be "black or white"? Why so many variables? Why? I ask you why???

At the end of the summer, Cale's BG was about 90% within range at any given time. I was thrilled!! I felt confident!! I was really looking forward to his next endo appointment just so that I could be told his A1C!! Then school started...and everything went to the dogs.

Two hours after breakfast, his BG is consistently over 225. Why?? During the summer it was under 150. So, no morning snack for Cale. He wasn't so happy about that. Then lunch would roll around...this year, the school is trying something different and having recess before the kids eat in the hopes that it will make them eat more. Ok...that I understand (most kids would eat very little in order to have more recess time-I witnessed that a lot last year) for the kid whose pancreas was working. But not for Cale! Now, we have to take into account how much running around he did at recess and factor that into his bolus calculations for lunch afterwards. AND....Cale has gym 1-1/2 hours after eating. So that also has to be kept in the back of our minds at lunchtime. Not to jinx myself (or our fantastic nurse at school) but so far so good. The only thing that we have had to do is have Cale eat a small snack right before gym...even though his number (at that time!!!) is within range, but will still be going down. Seems to be working. (I would set up a different basal rate for that time of day, but sometimes, in gym, they are running and playing and what have you....other times, it is low key.)

Now let's get back to the morning. First, I played with the Insulin to Carb ratio. No luck. Then I decided to up his basal rate. That worked....too well. The first day of the new basal rate, two hours after breakfast his BG was 54!!! So not where I wanted his BG to be. Back to the old basal rate. Waited for the next morning to see what it would bring...110!!!!!! Yes...we did it!!!!! Or so I thought. That was last Friday...fast forward to today and his BG 2 hours after breakfast was....wait for it....425!!!!! What the (^*%!!!!!!! Seriously....now what? He ran a little higher (nothing too too bad) until around 2:00. Then everything was back to within range. Why...why....why?????

I think I will wait and see what tomorrow morning brings and then a nice little phone call to the endo will be made. I know it is his job, but I would rather just be able to use my teeny tiny little brain to figure it out, but like I said, nothing is "black or white" with Diabetes. NOTHING!!!!!

1 comment:

:) Tracie said...

This is the best disease EVER!!!!
......NOT........

Does the Omnipod have an extended bolus feature?

Jessi has a function on her Ping that allows us to figure out a dose amount and then program for it to release 40% of the dose now, and the other 60% releases continually over a period of 2 hours or whatever time frame we choose. This helps with pizza nights and french fries.
We can also choose to vary the percentages as well.

Maybe that would help if the pod does that. Then the breakfast dose might be able to be stretched out and fight those high numbers with a higher basal rate. OR, the lunch dose could be stretched out so he wouldn't need that before gym snack. Make sense?

Could be that this is where stress comes into play.....or the weather....or any other factor that messes with our kids on a daily basis. Isn't this fun!?