That's right...the time at the bottom of this post is correct...I can't sleep.
All good things must come to an end. We were doing so well with the OmniPod; Cale's numbers were great, all it took was a push of a couple of buttons and insulin was flowing, the amount of insulin was precise and don't get me started on the extend button (LOVE IT!!). Then...WHAM!!! The high BG came and it brought along their friend, Mr. Ketones.
Here is the scenario:
We had our routine pod change at 4:30 p.m. BG was 169 so we gave a little correction. We all go over to Auntie Lauren's house to give Ellie Cat (yes, Lauren, that is what I am calling her) her medicine while they are out of town. Que the stairs and two boys sliding down them. Off to dinner we go (yummy El Niagra) and the pre-dinner BG was 72, lower than we would like, but not horrible. Ate our food, counted the carbs, gave the insulin (60% up front and the remaining 40% over 2 hours). 8:30 rolls around and it's time for the 2 hour post dinner BG check. 383!!! Did I not count right?? Yes I did, turns out the cannula had come out while the boys were body surfing down the stairs. Time to change the pod, again (don't even get me started on watching the $ for these things go down the drain). 9:55 - checked the BG again..are you ready...wait for it...449!!! Are you kidding me?? Gave a correction. (Right now I am realizing one of our mistakes - did we give insulin again for dinner after changing the pod? NO!!!! Where in the world were our heads??? I cannot believe that neither one of us thought about it. Parents of the Year Award has been won hands down by Cale's Mommy and Daddy!!!) Checked the Ketones again, small amount. So we wait. 11:00, let's check him again. 469!!! WTF!!! (pardon my language) Mr. Ketone is still hanging around. So we decide to change the pod site. We had put it on his arm to give his tummy a rest against Cale's wishes (should have listened to him, but don't tell him that). Back to the tummy it goes. And once again, we wait. Midnight, BG is 410. Still high, but coming down. Gave yet another correction. 1:00 a.m., BG is 380, slowly coming down. And then we come to 2:30 a.m., BG is 314. SIGH. Give yet another correction and decide to check again for Ketones. Moderate. Until today all we have ever seen was just below trace. Ok...time to wake up the doctor. I dial the phone remembering a couple of days ago when he didn't call back (turns out the paging system wasn't working) but the answering service has me stay on the phone and connects me directly to him. Ok...gave a correction via syringe. Wait some more and if still running high with ketones, change the site once again (picture toilet, now see money and FLUSH!!!! I know it's his health, but I'm tired and I have a sore throat and am losing my voice - pity party!!).
I think I am done rambling. After reading this, I have really taken notice of a couple mistakes on our part. They are now stored in the teeny tiny vault in my brain and will be taken out should this happen again. And I apologize to our family members who are totally lost with some of the terms used, but I had to get it out and you other moms out there get it.
Ok...time to try and sleep for a short period before having to check again. Not gonna happen, but I can try.